January 06, 2009… 12:17 P.M., at this point of time, if you ask any person well versed in various forms of Indian Classical Music (probably a guru or a maestro) that if the same pattern which was actually contrived by Muthuswami Dikshitar and Thyagaraja still being taught to this generation, the answer would be an unanimous NO… because there has been a sea change in the time frames and generations and thereby, various changes were evolved in teaching the music so as to vibe well with the tastes of the generations. Obviously, there would be no change done to the root part, the swaras and the raagas will remain the same!
It was in 1992 when the music wizard A.R.Rahman composed the tunes for his first filmy album Roja... He was 26 then. Now at 43, he composed the tunes for his latest offing, Yuvvraaj. So taking a cue from the above stance, one can wonder the amount of change that had been evolved in his composing styles in this time-gap of 17 years!
The first song of Rahman to which I listened was Nila Kaigirathu from Indira (as that was the first ever film I watched)… At that point of time, I don’t know who Rahman was but that song did haunt me like a diva in my sporadic dreams! The first raaga I learnt was Mayamalava gowla and that was followed by a chain of raagas after which I took a break to analyze the songs based on the learnt raagas… Indeed, the first song I analyzed was Nila Kaigirathu. It is strongly based on Hamir Kalyani.
Pudhu Vellai Mazhai from Roja was a master-piece based on Kapi. The moment I heard Mannmohini Morey from Yuvvraaj, I thought it was a rendition on Kapi. But after a few times of hearing made me confirm that it was the alaap of Aabheri (Ni Sa Ga Ma Pa)! Rahman had composed only one song based on Aabheri, which is Kannodu Kanbathellam from Jeans. The song requires quite a high pitch. Nithyashree Mahadevan was absolutely great in that song as is Vijay Prakash in Mannmohini. When I compared the composing styles of Rahman in both these songs, I felt that he mixed that song with Sudha Dhanyasi and made it a raagamalika while he made a fusion of Aabheri in western in Mannmohini!
The moment I heard Tu Muskura… It made me remind of Sonnalum Ketpadhillai from Kadhal Virus which was based on Nalinakanthi. The interludes embedded in the song are purely western yet the base of the song is in Hamsadhwani. I was flabbergasted at the way Rahman mixed this song on such low notes with western loops. Then I realized that only a Rahman can do this sort of song! Alka Yagnik sounded better even on such low notes and Javed Ali is apt for his Hindustani alaap. The song is best suited to have a perfect evening!
Melody-Rhythm-Lyrical Beauty… these are the 3 pillars on which Carnatic Music is based on… and that is exactly one can witness in Zindagi…. Gulzar explaining the various modes of life and Srinivas taking you through the modes while Rahman is providing the fuel to the song. The song is etched on the raaga Saranga…. It made me reminiscent of Azhage Sugama (based on Dhwijavathi and Sahana) from Paarthale Paravasam. The varied styles in the pace of the song make it a celestial number. Here one can witness the contemporary style of Rahman, composing a melody.
An euphonious song is what I can say about Tu Hi Meri Dost Hain… It is probably the best example of western symphony Rahman is talking about these days and I guess this is the theme which he is trying to infuse in KMMC. This song can be simply listened for its lyrics which go like...
Kabhi dil ka hai saahil, Jahan shaam utarti hai
Kehte hain samundar se, Ek pari guzarti hai
Wo raat ki raani hai, Sargam par chalti hai
Gulzar Saab is to be applauded for his impeccable work. Without his lyrics, this song wouldn’t have been rooted in the ears of listeners. A hundred time listener… I might be sounding vague because it's actually more than a hundred time listener!
How can I forget the resplendent works of A.R.Rahman in Kandukondain Kandukondain? Kannamochi (based on Nattakuranji) and Thongi Choose (based on Kathanukathagulam) deeply evoke my feelings till date…The same Rahman I get to hear listening to these master-piece songs from Yuvvraaj although in a different way! The way Rahman is blending his music with different genres since Roja is simply breathtaking and quite amazing. That indeed makes a striking difference between him and other composers who are into producing some strident sounds.
As the notion says, the change is only about moving forward… one has to move forward adapting to the styles of the current time-frame one is living in without being able to forget one’s moolah! It applies universally, be it an A.R.Rahman, be it a Raghav or anyone else. Rahman has instigated various styles of music in him according to the changes and he is making his music move forward with them and along with it, he is transcending places. Let us wish him a wonderful birthday and request him to continue enthralling us with his music!
No comments:
Post a Comment