Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Interview (On the Article)

Kudos to your fantabulous article. It was a nice read.

Thank You!

Do you think all the music composed by Rahman sir or any other director is based on Carnatic music or Hindustani?

No... In no case, it can be understood that way because there are a lot of genres in the music prevalent all over the world. But one can segregate this whole of music quotation into two branches for an easy understanding of the art.

1>Indian Music
2>Western Music

Indian Music comprises of two branches namely Carnatic and Hindustani... Indian Music has the strongest base compared to any other genre of music. The roots of music have originated from the carnatic music... so if one terms it as the moolah of music, it is in no way an exaggeration. Raagams are a part of classical music.

Western Music comprises of rock, rap, jazz, country, etc... It has the same seven notes C D E F G A B as that of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Da Ni in Indian classical music albeit in a different notion.

And it is not necessary that every song is based on carnatic or hindustani. They are just two forms of music. And trying to relate every other song with either carnatic or hindustani is one of the wrong practices adopted in learning the music.

We have so many music composers all over the world. And naturally, all of them do not know carnatic or hindustani. So a composer composes a song basing on his learnt or known genre. Similar is the case of A R Rahman... He learnt Indian music... So most of his songs contain Indian flavor... and its purely his genius that he blended the western music with Indian music by foraying into the western music and learning the nauances of it.

What do you say about Pappu Can't Dance or other fast numbers?

Yes... this pappu cant dance is a fast number based on western beat music... I can't say the exact genre because I don't have much knowledge on the western music... One thing I can say about these type of numbers is that they are not based on Indian classical music (laughter).

And what do you say about Dreams on fire (from Slumdog Millionaire)?

Its another western symphony which has a strong feel embedded within it.

Does it have roots with any Classical/Hindustani Raga?

No... It doesn't.

And can you relate any Western song to that in an Indian raga?

Sometimes yes and sometimes no.... when it is Rahman, you can relate few western songs to Indian because his way of composing is totally unique... he masters the art of blending western into Indian music which no other Indian composer is good at.... that's one of the secrets of his success. You can consider the examples of Fanaa in Ayudha Ezhuthu, Rehna Tu in Delhi 6, etc...

And do you know how Rahman sir or anyone else does a fusion?

If I have known the way Rahman sir does a fusion, then I guess Rahman sir would not have as easily pocketed those 2 Oscars (intended pun!). It would be the same in case of anyone else as well.

You have said to consider the example of Mausam and Escape from SDM. Which is that Raga?

Mausam and Escape is another example of blending western music with Indian flavor... It starts with a slight shade of Malahari (not pure) but then takes a paradigm shift to Rahman genre of mixing the things!

Who do you feel is the best among Ilaiyaraja and Rahman?

A very difficult question. But the answer is very simple. One cannot compare two extremes. Both of them are legends in their own way.

Are all the songs required to be in specific raga or mix up of ragaas? If he composes the song in western style, is the Indian ragaas applicable? For eg : is there any raaga associated with Petarap (Kadhalan) ?

No... Its not that way. I have said earlier. It's sometimes Yes and sometimes No. I am not sure of that song... it sounds complex to my ears.

Is there any raga which ARR was never used so far even in parts?

Yes... there are many like Kamavardhini, Valaji, Ketakapriya, Amrutha Varshini, etc... very rare raagas and which cannot be used at the outset.

Of late, we have not seen an article based on the music. When can we expect one?

Actually, I have wantedly refrained from writing a piece with music as subject as I was feared of getting branded as a writer who writes only on music. I don't want to take such kind of acclaim. As a writer, I feel one should be able to pen on any subject. That's why I have switched to various topics. Money, Fashion, Autism, Human Relations, Reality Shows, Leadership..... I have explored quite a variety of topics last year. Probably I may soon write a piece based on music. You have to wait.

I have gone crazy over your Sa Re Ga Ma of Fashion. What is your feeling when it was selected for Newsweek?

Thanks. But don't go crazy over it. Just read and try to garner a piece or two knowledge bytes from it. Even if you don't, there is no problem. Just inculcate the habit of reading. It really is of use. My feeling was really satisfying for my effort. But it has not reached the intended audience I had kept in my mind while writing probably because of lack of promotion... you know these days, every product needs a promotion. I plan to do an edited version and re-launch the article by organizing an event.

You have said that Ilaiyaraja sticks to only one raaga. But actually he doesn't. What is the reason behind such a controversial statement?

Wow! A misinterpretation can stir a controversy.... see friend, FYI, I have never mentioned that Raja sir sticks to only one raaga in 'every composition of his'... probably you might have missed out on an i/w of Raja sir where he said that he prefers using a single raaga in one song rather than going for a ragamalika. So I have just taken a point of his and said the statement... Its a normal thing we the writers do! And in no way, I have said that Raja sir uses only one raaga in each and every song of his. Hope you are clear with this explanation.

What is your forthcoming article?

I am contemplating on a couple of subjects, one is 'women' given by Rupa and the other is based on 'knowledge'. Probably you might see one of these subjects.

No comments: